Sunday, August 23, 2015

Cody Coaching update - 23 days left!

September 16th is fast approaching.  Last time I gave you an update Cody had 1 job lead,  I am pleased to say that he has 4 job leads 6 days into the coaching program.  Of course non of those job leads matter if we can't turn one of them into an official job offer!  Follow along and watch as Cody lands an entry level QA position!

One of the scariest things for people learning how to code is simply having the courage to set a goal and announce the date publicly that you will achieve your goal.  I feel the same way myself, trust me I have the same evil voice in my head that constantly tells me I can't do something or am a failure.  There is no cure for it, the best thing I have found is to simply push through the voice and achieve the goal anyway.  It also helps to surround yourself with very encouraging supportive people in your life.

People who start coaching with me are always surprised by how hard it is to actually study 3 hours a day for 4 months straight.  Learning to code is only 50% of the equation, the other 50% is how to actually go about getting a job.  If you think you want to learn how to code, I recommend simply coding everyday for 3 hours a day for a week and see how you feel.  If you fail that challenge, you don't need a coding boot camp, you need to decide if you have the willpower to learn how to code.

Another coaching client in Denver who is going to start interviewing this Monday, I'll let you know when he actually lands a job :-)  I am impressed with how hard he has worked everyday to be starting to interview 34 days after starting coaching with me.

With coding, you don't have to be a genius you just to want to learn and realize that the journey will be long and hard.  If you think writing 4 - 5 commands and generating a Rails app with get you hired, you are only kidding yourself.  Everything good in life takes effort, usually way more effort than you originally think.

The good news is the reward.  After getting kicked in the face by a donkey I promised myself that one day I would carry around in my head all the knowledge and skills I would need to make money.  Never again would I have to lift my 72 pound anvil in and out of the truck multiple days a day, I would only need the Internet and a computer.

One of the reasons I never moved away from the Northern Virginia area 7.5 years ago when I was first married was I would have to restart my entire farrier practice from scratch in another state.  I've been in Apex North Carolina for 5 weeks now and love it!  I never could have made this kind of a move with most other types of jobs.

If you are learning how to code, keep on keeping on!  Don't slow down, or think that you can't get hired.  Companies are hungry for passionate people who know the basics of coding and want to grow!

Keep coding peeps, you can do this!