Monday, April 8, 2013

Learning Ruby on Rails end of week 24 = Total hours of studying 484.50 !!!

Yes 2 weeks left on my 6 month learning Ruby on Rails journey, excited! I almost have 500 hours!

I put in 65 commits into the Web Application last week, and I'm sorry to say I am scrapping the project. My brother +Cody Kemp will continue to work on it on his own, so I'll let you know when it's done.

I decided to stop working on the Web Application for 2 reasons: (1) The business model to generate income form this particular Web Application is not going to work like I thought at all. (2) I may have the opportunity soon to work on something really cool that I've always wanted to make, not sure yet if it's definitely going to happen or not but I'll let you know.

This week I am working on making my friend's landscaping business website, I want to have the rough mock up done by this weekend, I'll post pictures up as it comes along.  I'm beginning to understand what makes Rails so powerful, it shows it strength best when dealing with web site's that have 'multitenancy' (look it up, I did opened my eyes to the world of Rails).

I guess I had always thought of web sites as being static bill board style web pages. If that's all you need, than Rails is really not going to shine as good as say a Static content generator like 'MiddleMan'.

Anyway learning more and more, and still feeling like the more I learn the less I know. I guess this is when you reach a point of knowledge and understanding , that you just start beginning to get an idea of how much you DON'T KNOW, so I'm taking that as a good sign :) - Josh Kemp