Friday, November 9, 2012

1 file saved = 1 hour...or "Wow that was a waste of time"

Studied 2 hours Thursday (yesterday), working on the 'Ruby4kids.com' 'Gosu' gem lesson, in which you make a little game. I ended up spending an hour figuring out how to save files after changing them.

I use Sublime Text 2 as my text editor and have liked it. However as of 3 days ago whenever I save a file after making a change to the code it says: 'Unable to save 'example file''. I tried googling and googling for the answer to the problem, and have found out that apparently the latest version of Sublime Text 2 has a bug when saving files, and the only way to get around it is to type this code into your terminal: sudo /Applications/Sublime\ Text\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Sublime\ Text\ 2.

With that, you should be able to save files as normal with no problem, but it takes up a terminal as you're using it. The best solution I finally found was to: After making a change to a file click on the 'save as' button, then when the box pops up with the file to save, re-type in the name of the file that you want to save (treating it as a new file) and it saves with no problem.

So I would switch from Sublime Text 2 to a different editor but I like ST2 and I really don't know how to use some of the others, I figure the time it takes me to save the file can't take any longer than learning a new text editor, and hopefully a future update will fix it.

The game is going well, had some errors, but I have conquered, now to work on it some more today.-Josh